Hydreon RG-11 Optical Rain Sensor with Relay Output
Senses rainfall with no moving parts.
6 different modes of operation: Tipping bucket, Skylight rain sensor, Wiper control, Drop detection, Condensation / Frost Sensing, or Irrigation control sensor.
- Manufacturer: Hydreon
The RG-11 Rain Gauge senses water hitting its outside surface using beams of infrared light. It uses the same sensing principle used in millions of automotive rain sensing windshield wiper controls.
The RG-11 is optical - not mechanical, chemical, or conductive. Consequently, it is far more rugged, sensitive and reliable than any other technology. The sensor is extremely sensitive, and virtually immune to false trips. Yet, it is completely unaffected by jostling and motion. There are no exposed conductors to corrode, and no openings for bugs to crawl into. There is no place for leaves or other debris to collect.
The RG-11 Rain Sensor includes a DIP switch that allows it to be set up for the mode of operation that best matches the application.
RG-11 Modes of Operation:
- Tipping Bucket Emulation-- Replace your tipping bucket with a low maintenance alternative.
- "It's Raining"-- Close a skylight at the first sign of rain, and open it when it stops raining.
- Condensation / Frost Sensing
- Wiper control
- Irrigation Control - No more watering during a downpour
- Drop Detection
Please note: The RG-11 can't be powered with 5 V via the 5 V pin on the header, as it won't be able to boost its emitter current with just 5 V. Please power the device with minimum 12 V through the main terminal block
Performance of RG-1:
RG-11 is not as accurate as a properly maintained Tipping Bucket, but a better choice for many applications.
We do not guarantee or specify an accuracy for the RG-11, but these are the results we have seen for our three testing stations:
- Cumulative Error for the three stations: -10% to -28%
- Standard Deviation of error for each rain event: 36%
So, long term, expect the current revision of software to read about 10 to 28% low.
The standard deviation means that roughly 2/3 of the time the RG-11 will be within 36% of the tipping bucket. Much of the time the RG will read close to the tipping bucket, but outlier events can be significantly off.
Data taken between October 2011 and November 2012. Software revision – 12 (current is 16, but does not change accuracy). Units for testing range between new and three years of weathering and wear, including tests with intentionally scuffed / excessively worn units.
Snow melt is not included in the totals. Percent error for rain events is for events over 0.02" accumulation. (Tipping bucket does not register below about 0.02")
There is not a clear correlation of any readily measurable parameter. The biggest factor is surface condition.
- Power supply: 10 to 30 VDC or 12 to 26 VAC
- Surge: 50 V
- Reverse polarity protected: 50 V
- When no outputs on, not raining, no heater: 15 mA
- In Micro-power sleep mode: About 1.5 mA
- When output on: 50 mA
- When heater on and 24 VDC input: 55 mA
- Relay closure, normally open and normally closed contacts
- Max.Load 1 A, 24 VDC
Operating temperature: -40 to +60 °C
- Weight0.324 kg
- Dimensions (L x W x H)10 x 8 x 10 cm
Faulty Goods and Warranty
Where such goods have been supplied we undertake to repair or replace them as quickly as possible.Prior to returning faulty items, please contact us with a description of the fault as one of our engineers might be able to assist you by resolving the issue over the phone.
A Warranty form must be filled out and returned with any goods.
Our standard warranty period is 12 months from the date of purchase unless stated otherwise.
Other warranty periods:
Labjack Products: 5 Years
Atop Products: 3 Years
MeanWell Products: 3 Years
Terracom Products: 3 Years
Warranty is subject to us being satisfied that a defect was caused by defective workmanship or materials and was not caused by or was not substantially contributed to by other factors beyond our control including incorrect installation, alterations or modifications of the product not recommended by the manufacturer.
If you are dissatisfied with our goods you may return them within 14 days of the dispatch date. Contact us for an authorisation and we will refund your purchase less shipping costs and restocking fees. All returned goods MUST be in AS NEW condition including ALL PACKAGING and DOCUMENTATION / MANUALS etc.
- The product returned will attract a 20% restocking fee.
- The customer must pay the delivery costs.
- Non standard, custom made or a specially manufactured or imported products are not returnable.
- Semiconductors, books and software are not refundable
Full Terms and Conditions
By placing an order with Ocean Controls, you agree to be bound by our Terms and Conditions of Trade.
- SKU:HYS-100Available for backorder
- SKU:KTA-2881Stock built to order
- SKU:ECS-012Available for backorder
Customers who viewed this product also bought
- SKU:HYS-005In stock(10 items available)
- SKU:RKS-010VIn stock(3 items available)
- SKU:RKS-002In stock(4 items available)
- SKU:KTL-250In stock(23 items available)