Based on latest DSP technology and adopting Leadshine's advanced control algorithm, ES-D808 easy servo drive applies servo control on easy servo motors. When paired with an easy servo motor, it combines features of both open loop steppers & brushless servo systems, and offers many unique advances features for excellent motion control system performance.
Similar to servo drives in traditional brushless servo systems, an ES-D808 easy servo drive takes encoder feedback from a driven ES-M series easy servo motor to close the position loop and eliminate the possibility of loss of movement synchronization. Therefore, loss of steps which limits adoption of stepper systems is totally eliminated in ES-D808 driven easy servo systems. Compared with constant output current in open loop stepper drive, output current from an ES-D808 servo drive to the driven motor is load based. When torque requirement is low, the output current is automatically lowered to the level of "just enough". But when the torque requirement is high, an ES-D808 easy servo drive can boost the output current quickly, up to 8.2A. This can significantly improve control system response time, offer excellent acceleration performance, and reduce motor heating by as much as 50% over open-loop stepper systems. Also, there is no torque reservation needed for an ES-D808 driven easy servo system. In an ES-D808 driven easy servo system, it always allows 100% torque implementation available from the driven easy servo motor and thus improves system high speed performance by as much as 30% over comparable open loop stepper systems. In addition, smoothness and quietness are also significantly improved in ES-D808 driven easy servo systems over steppers.
Compared with traditional brushless servo systems, cost for ES-D808 driven easy servo systems is significantly lower. They also outperform comparable traditional brushless servo systems for the features of much higher low and middle speed torque, (ideal for CNC machining operations) high standstill stiffness, no hunting (shaking), no overshooting, and almost zero settling time. In addition, plug-and-play setup for almost all applications makes ES-D808 driven easy servo system much simple to set up, over hard-to-configure brushless servo systems which usual involve configurations of tens of parameters.
When an ES-D808 easy servo drive is implemented with a Leadshine ES-M series easy servo motor, there is no configuration needed for almost all applications. The output resolution of ES-D808 with the output resolution defaulted to output resolution of 2,000 pulses per resolution (equal to 10 microstep in 2-phase stepper systems). Via DIP switches, a user can also easily change the output resolution to one of 15 output resolutions 800 to 51,200 (equal to 4-256 microstep in 2-phase stepper systems). With the Windows configuration software, ProTuner, an advanced user can also set custom settings of resolution, current & position loop parameters, idle current percentage, etc.
ES-D808 driven easy servo systems have been widely adopted by many Leadshine OEM clients to upgrade their open-loop stepper systems or replace brushless servo systems in industries such as CNC machinery, electronics, semiconductor, medical, textile, robotics and lab automation.
Note: this driver suits 2 phase bipolar stepper motors, like our MOT-182, MOT-183 and MOT-184. It doesn't work with the smaller, 3 phase encoder-stepper motors.
The main advantages over traditional servo and open loop stepper systems are:
- The stepper motor provides torque at low speeds, which is when you need it for milling or cutting
- The feedback from the encoder ensures no lost steps and allows the motor to be driven as load demands
- The feedback and control algorithm allow much higher top speeds than open loop stepper systems
- The system maintains a stable holding position without oscillation after completing positioning
- Step and Direction control
- Closed position loop for no loss of movement synchronization
- Plug&Play, no tuning for most applications
- High torque at starting and low speed
- No torque reservation
- Reduces the torque margin required for motors in your system
- High stiffness at standstill
- Significantly reduced motor heating
- Smooth motor movement and extra low motor noise
- Quick response, no delay and zero settling time
- Support for PUL/DIR and CW/CCW control signals
- Opto-isolated inputs, supporting single-ended and differential signals
- Over-current, over-voltage, position following error protections
Parameter tuning tools, including ProTuner (Windows based setup software) can meet different tuning environments or requirements. The LSK-001 programming cable and Protuner Software is required to tune the drive.